22 December 2008

vhs or beta?

Farewell, VHS... and don't let the door hit you on your way out. Though most of us have given up our VHS players by now in favor of something a little less dated, there have been the usual stragglers in the "old 'n' busted video format" department that have kept VHS alive long past its expiration date. But with the last major VHS supplier in the US ditching the format at the end of this year, the sound of the death knell has forced us to reminisce on VHS and other formats we wish would die with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey folks, I'm an old guy, 64, to be exact, and I've been collecting movies since the seventies. I now have almost 300 DVD's, but I also still have about 80 old VHS tapes, many of them are just not avail-able on DVD, because they are old, but also because, besides the fact that the price of replacing all of them on DVD even if they were available, would cost several thousands of dollars. I have better things to do with my money than to replace movies I already own, I have one machine that plays both formats. and at least two other machines that play one or the other, in different rooms. Let's face it folks, the real reason new formats keep coming out is not for the little bit of improved picture you get now...... but to keep you spending your money!

Anonymous said...

that last is absolutely right----