07 September 2015

lake george

i didn't stop at the town of lake george, but the thought crossed my mind that it was gatlinburg for yankees --- the cabins and inns and what not up the west side of the lake were wonderful, with a few mid-19th century houses left here and there --- i can imagine something of the adirondacks and last of the mohicans now i guess

Lake George is without comparison, the most beautiful water I ever saw; formed by a contour of mountains into a basin... finely interspersed with islands, its water limpid as crystal, and the mountain sides covered with rich groves... down to the water-edge: here and there precipices of rock to checker the scene and save it from monotony.
Thomas Jefferson, 1791

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure agree about the town being the Gatlinburg of the Adirondacks. And I definitely agree about the countryside. But I think that's what countryside is supposed to look like.